Monday, September 26, 2022

...The Second Wonderful Bat Detector - The DIY Kit from The Netherlands

In my last blog post, I wrote about the fact that 2 bat detectors are on their way here (from Europe). If you happened to see that post, you already know about The SSF BAT3 detector from Germany.

However, I held off on disclosing the identity of the other bat detector (from the Netherlands) since there were none in stock. 

Well, since the maker's site has been showing it available once again - I will tell you: It's called The Teensybat. So...The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and critical parts have been graciously offered for sale by the maker; Edwin Houwertjes. You may learn more, from exploring the maker's website

You can also learn about the interesting development history of this project here. It bears repeating: This lovely bat detector, is one which must be assembled by someone familiar with soldering/assembling electronic kits. Pre-built detectors are not currently offered. 

Photo of The Teensybat, from website

Having stated that, I can go ahead and share a couple of great links for the Teensybat... Here is a Link from the Teensybat site, featuring YouTube videos (by the Author) in both the English and Dutch language: The name of page is Using The Teensybat You might also stumble upon this page which goes to show, that a lot can be learned from poking around on Edwin's site. 

Fortunately, I happen to enjoy experimenting with electronics, and building kits & projects. Now that I think of it: not only have I built my share of DIY bat detector kits (over the years), but I also became very keen on DIY lightning detector projects/kits at one point. As evidenced by this (less popular) old blog of mine.

Well, I'll keep this post brief and close for now...Just to summarize:

As you may learn from visiting The Teensbat's website, it appears to be a very thoroughly well-designed bat detector! Possessing features which some off-the-shelf/ready made bat detectors lack. For all intents and purposes, it seems quite capable (especially going by some field videos).

Well, as I've stated in an earlier post - I've ordered mine, and it's on the way! I also just finished ordering the Teensy 4.1 project board (which is a requirement). As well as a couple of other optional features. Such as a temperature sensor, and a 3.5mm jack for additional mic experiments. This is in fact, another interesting point: A buyer may choose to customise their Teensybat, by purchasing optional components before assembly - Very cool! I'm really looking forward to building and using it!

Until next time, 

Happy bat detecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking for The Next Bat Detector for Review! To be Featured on Live Webinar @ The BatAbility Club!

Seeking the next bat detector (or wildlife sound recording device) To be featured on Live Webinar/Presentation for The BatAbility Club , to ...