Sunday, August 4, 2013

First Impressions: The NEW Batscanner From Elekon!

I'm very happy to report the arrival of The New version of Elekon's Batscanner handheld detector. The new loaner unit for test and review, arrived several days ago (to me here in New York, USA).
I was away from home, when the unit was delivered. I spent several days at a new bat detecting location: My Mother-in-law's apartment building in New Rochelle, NY. I occupied my evenings there, by performing some mini-bat surveys. Also checked all the trees for roosts during the day, etc. None found.

In any case, let's get back to the subject of this wonderful little detector! It is just so cool - I really like this one! Here is how it comes packaged, inside the box:
(similar to the way new books are packaged sometimes)


In any case, this method keeps it safe from damage, etc. The Batscanner sports a newly tooled case, that is even smaller than the original Batscanner! Cool! See pics below, where I try to convey it's diminutive size:


Preliminary tests show that it is just as sensitive as the original Batscanner, and possibly even more-so. The openings for speaker sound are different on this latest unit: It has small round holes to allow sound through (very similar to it's big Brother, The Batlogger M).
The (MEMs) microphone placement is still front-and-center (which is my preference). I prefer a bat detector's microphone to be either in the center of the front of the unit; or even a bit off-center. But, I do not like to see microphones mounted all the way to one side.

There's a lot to be said for a bat detector that is small and light enough to carry with you anywhere...You can easily place it in your pocket (just about any pocket!) on your way to an area which is good habitat for bats. It's also very nice to have with you, when serendipitous bat detecting opportunities present themselves.

If you're looking for a small, ultra-portable bat detector - Then look no further!
 
Elekon Batscanner Full Review

Happy bat detecting!

2 comments:

  1. Cool!
    The handheld detector is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! I've been testing it every night since it's arrival, and I think it's an awesome little detector overall. Full Review is in progress...

    ReplyDelete

Review: The Ranger - From Titley Scientific

The Ranger is a brand, new, cutting edge, wildlife recorder, which has just been released from Titley Scientific. Building upon the success ...