Monday, October 10, 2022

The 2 New Bat Detectors Are Here!

 So, the two (new to me) bat detectors arrived on time/as expected (on October 6th). The SSF BAT3 from Germany and The Teensybat 4.1 from The Netherlands.

As always, here is a pic of how the units arrived, to me here on the East coast of North America:


The Teensybat 4.1 kit on the left, The SSF BAT3 on the right


Unboxing The SSF BAT3 - Just a peek!


The SSF BAT3 is a factory-assembled, ready-to-use detector. So, I got to charging the battery immediately. 

It's battery life is stated as being about 3-6 hours. Initial charge time for the new battery (before 1st use) was stated as 8 hours in the user manual. I was able to achieve full charge in about half that time...

Pros:

  • Uses a nice, sensitive, electret microphone element. It deems to perform as well as many other pro level detector microphones. 
  • It's tiny! If someone were in the market for a James Bond-sized/secret/full featured bat detector, this would be it.
  • It has the potential to be very loud - Plenty of audio, even for a large-sized group to hear on a bat walk.
  • It has a built-in torch - LED. Which features an auto shut-off.
Cons: 

  • It seems to be based on a (Nokia?) cell phone platform. It's not very robust, in fact I might describe it as closer to delicate.
  • The included wrist strap would be a must!
  • It's only a heterodyne detector, although it does have an Auto-Het tuning feature (which is nice).
  • The door which holds the micro SD card, is the most delicate one I've ever encountered. 
Having worked in the technology field for many years, I've probably opened/closed hundreds of these types of slots (from many different manufacturers)...When I went to insert the micro SD card, the metal door came right off in my fingers - Yikes! I got it back on, and locked the SD card in place.

It has a few neat little informative "pages" (screens) about bats, bat calls, sonograms, etc., - Like a micro encyclopedia (for lack of a better description). I'll share pics of these screens in the full review. It's available in both the German or English language. Something to look at during lulls in bat activity.

All in all, I like it so far. Mainly because it packs so many features into such a tiny package. I also purchased the belt loop carrying case.


First opening of Teensbat 4.1 kit


Major components of The Teensbat 4.1 detector kit

I think it's very interesting to look at both this detector, and The Teensybat - which I've already started to assemble... I made sure that I had every last component ready to go, so that when the detectors arrived - No time would be wasted!

Until next time,
Happy bat detecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking for The Next Bat Detector for Review! To be Featured on Live Webinar @ The BatAbility Club!

Seeking the next bat detector (or wildlife sound recording device) To be featured on Live Webinar/Presentation for The BatAbility Club , to ...