As with all things, it will just take some getting used to: After repetitive use, and in a short time, you'll feel like a Pro.
The new UltraSoundGate 116Hnm kit starts at only 1600 Euros (for the model tested).
Something else I really like: The ability to hear bat calls in heterodyne technique.
Just because you've moved up, from the less-expensive bat detectors, doesn't mean that you have to "give up" the splendor of listening to your bat calls in heterodyne mode. Many people (myself included) enjoy the pleasure of being able to listen to bat calls in heterodyne fashion: Basically the ability to hear what is being picked up by the microphone unit, very close to real-time. The delay is only a very small fraction of a second, and is inconsequential.
The Avisoft Recorder software is configurable to meet any and every individual's requirements - With the potential for many different owners/users, to have just as many unique set-ups.
How does it perform? Well, setting aside the fact that the kit offers a myriad of different set-up possibilities and optimizations - Generally, I've always found it to perform quite well indeed.
So far, results compare favourably with other high-end detectors of similar price. I'll expand more on this, in Part 2.
With so many facets of the system at your control, it's difficult to find fault with this kit.
- Extremely compact / Ultra portable.
- Very advanced system, for serious bioacoustic work.
- Suitable for recording vocalizations of many different animals (not just bats).
- Derives power from your computing device.
- Produces superior sonograms, with accuracy to spare.
- Does not function as a stand-alone instrument, must be coupled to a computing device.
- May be costly for those who don't already own a Netbook, or (smaller) Tablet PC.
- Software is not for Beginners, of benefit only to those well versed with computer software.
Happy bat detecting!