Thursday, August 11, 2011

Additional Findings With The Pettersson D240X

I'd like to share some additional observations and thoughts, in regards to the Pettersson D240X Detector.
One minor thing, that I didn't notice before (and didn't include in my recent review) is that the frequency control knob is very precise and selective. This proved to be an advantage when listening to insect calls...

Rarely does a Summer go by, where I don't become interested in the singing insects. Primarily, Katydids - They are just about always present and "singing". So I used the Katydids' constant, high frequency "singing" for the recent A/B comparisons.

I had an opportunity to do some side-by-side testing, with other detectors; to check sensitivity and pick up range. I discovered that the D240X easily out-performs the other hand-held units, by a fair margin.
Now, I've always known, that heterodyne detectors reproduce more components of a bat call, for instance. But, it never really occurred to me that the same thing would happen when listening to insects. The reason for this, is that until now: I've really only tested inexpensive heterodyne detectors (for the most).

During side-by-side comparisons with both frequency division and heterodyne detectors - I can say that, the better detectors can keep up with the D240X; as far as detecting insects. Again, for the most part. But, I noticed something interesting: The "details" of the calls being produced by the D240X. When listening, even with just the built-in speaker; I was a bit surprised when I noticed "hidden melodies" (for lack of a better description) in the Katydid's calls. It's a bit difficult to explain. They sounded as though they had an added "dimension" to them, sort-of musical.
Which, you may recall, I also experienced when listening to the recorded (het) bat calls made with the D240X.
I've also just found another great link, in re: to the D240X. On this page there's a link to a neat PowerPoint Presentation/Slide-show, that explains how to record using a Zoom H2 digital recorder. The info is useful.

In years past, I've come across articles recommending heterodyne units to be used for detection of various singing insects. By far, my favorite article, can be found here: Link To PDF and here: HTML (Web) format

-Great article!

I've been interested in detecting and recording various singing insects for several years now (from about 2006). A very nice, inexpensive book on the subject (for North American residents) is:
Night-Singing Insects Of The Northeast
I don't recall seeing a British or European "equivalent" of this book. If you know of one, please contact me - I would like to add it to my library.

Next post: Full Review Of Wildlife Acoustics' SM2BAT Platform

Happy bat (and bug) detecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking for The Next Bat Detector for Review! To be Featured on Live Webinar @ The BatAbility Club!

Seeking the next bat detector (or wildlife sound recording device) To be featured on Live Webinar/Presentation for The BatAbility Club , to ...